There is a growing research community working on platform policies based PGA data and beyond. We are listing these efforts here.
If you are working with PGA data, please reach out to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we can list you here. You are also invited to drop a note if you are working on platform policies without building on PGA, we make sure to list you here as well.
Research with PGA data
- Katzenbach, C. (2021). “AI will fix this” – The Technical, Discursive, and Political Turn to AI in Governing Communication. Big Data & Society, 8(2). https://doi.org/10.1177/20539517211046182
- Katzenbach, C. (2022). Der „Algorithmic turn“ in der Plattform-Governance. KZfSS Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie, 74, 283–305. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11577-022-00837-4.
- de Keulenaar, E., C. Magalhães, J., & Ganesh, B. (2023). Modulating moderation: A history of objectionability in Twitter moderation practices. Journal of Communication. https://doi.org/10.1093/joc/jqad015.
- Magalhães, J. C., & Katzenbach, C. (2020). Coronavirus and the frailness of platform governance. Internet Policy Review, 1. https://policyreview.info/articles/news/coronavirus-and-frailness-platform-governance/1458.
Research on platform policies in general
- Ahn, S., Baik, J. (Sophia), & Krause, C. S. (2022). Splintering and centralizing platform governance: How Facebook adapted its content moderation practices to the political and legal contexts in the United States, Germany, and South Korea. Information, Communication & Society, 0(0), 1–20. https://doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2022.2113817
- Barrett, B., & Kreiss, D. (2019). Platform transience: Changes in Facebook’s policies, procedures, and affordances in global electoral politics. Internet Policy Review, 8(4). https://policyreview.info/articles/analysis/platform-transience-changes-facebooks-policies-procedures-and-affordances-global
- Koutsimpogiorgos, N., Frenken, K., & Herrmann, A. M. (2023). Platform adaptation to regulation: The case of domestic cleaning in Europe. Journal of Industrial Relations, 00221856221146833. https://doi.org/10.1177/00221856221146833
- Scharlach, R., Hallinan, B., & Shifman, L. (2023). Governing principles: Articulating values in social media platform policies. New Media & Society, 14614448231156580. https://doi.org/10.1177/14614448231156580
- Schwemer, S. F. (2020). The regulation of abusive activity and content: A study of registries’ terms of service. Internet Policy Review, 9(1). https://policyreview.info/articles/analysis/regulation-abusive-activity-content-study-registries-terms-service
- Siapera, E., & Viejo-Otero, P. (2021). Governing Hate: Facebook and Digital Racism: Television & New Media. https://doi.org/10.1177/1527476420982232
- Zhao, A. (2022). Governing social media with users: Tracing the evolution in Weibo community policies [Preprint]. SocArXiv. https://doi.org/10.31235/osf.io/5v4s8